Friday, January 25, 2013

Christmas, New Years and more!

Yes, friends, I'm still alive.

Ever since Christmas break I have been struggling to get myself back onto a decent schedule...my brain does NOT want to switch out of "lazy mode." :)

Here's what we have been up to since my last post...

Well, okay we actually did this at the beginning of the year...but I realized I forgot to post it. I found a tutorial online for how to fold a single sheet of paper into a book. I taught my kids how to do it and let them write whatever they wanted in their book.


A lot of them wrote non-fiction books, which was way fun to read!

This is one of my favorite activities to do in December! This came from the amazing Babbling Abby from The Inspired Apple. Click on the picture below to take you to her TPT store where you can get it free! 


We also compared/contrasted different gingerbread man stories. I forgot to take a picture of our chart we made...but it looked similar to this one I got from Deanna Jump's blog. 


If you click on the picture above, it will take you to Deanna's Gingerbread post where she has a TON of super cute ideas! 

We also read How the Grinch Stole Christmas and did this cute writing craftivity....
you can find the writing template HERE at A Cupcake for the Teacher


My first year of teaching, someone gave me this adorable template for a Santa countdown. However, there was LOTS of cutting involved....so this year I made a MUCH simpler version of it.



The students colored and cut out the santa face, glued it onto a sheet of construction paper and glued the poem underneath. I had them count out 24 cotton balls and put it in a sandwich bag. They took these home with them and every night, glued a cotton ball onto their Santa's beard. Click HERE to grab it for free! 

To celebrate New Years we read this book....


...and talked about what a resolution is. We then brainstormed some ideas for resolutions we could make. 

Then I had them write their resolution on these balloons I found HERE at A Place Called Kindergarten. 

Heehee, the love notes one made me smile :) The graphing activity came from Primary Perspective


And now, just a little titch of math....


We started our geometry unit by talking about attributes. We then did an activity where we sorted buttons by different attributes.

We also talked about the attributes of different shapes and sorted shapes by their attributes as well


Some of my kids are still having a hard time with backwards numbers...so I made up this little game so they could practice!

More updates coming soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment