Sunday, October 21, 2012

Free Planning Sheet

I'll be honest...keeping up with my blog during the school year has turned out to be more difficult than I thought! I've had so many things going on (with work and also outside of work) that my blog has been pushed to the back burner these last few weeks:(

Mr. Abeyta and I went to California for a week where his bagpipe band competed in a bagpipe competition (they got 1st place!...and of course we had to go to Disneyland while we were there! :) While I was sitting at the airport, I cutesied up one of my planning sheets and thought I'd share! Click on the picture to download.




SELF-START
Every morning when my students come in, they do a 'fix-up' sentence for their self-start. I have a sentence written with 3 mistakes in it. My students find the mistakes and circle them, write the sentence correctly, then draw a picture to match the sentence.

SIGHT WORDS
We learn 4 sight words each week. By the end of the week, my students are expected to be able to spell them and read them.
  • On Monday, I introduce the sight words and we write a sentence with each sight word.
  • On Tuesday, we spell the sight words using magnetic letters. 
  • On Wednesday, we sing a sight word song. (You can find two fun songs HERE and HERE)
  • On Thursday, my students get to pick out a movement card and follow the directions on the card for how to spell the word. (I found my set somewhere online...I can't remember where though! I've seen a few different sets floating around Pinterest)
  • On Friday, I pull out a stack of sight word flashcards. I tell them which sight word to look for and tell them to put the 'stop' hand signal when we get to that word.  As we go through the stack, they read the words out loud. This way, they are not only watching for our weekly sight word, but they are reviewing previous sight words as well.
 TIME FILLERS
Our darling firsties have so much to learn....every minute counts in first grade! Last year I started planning out time filler activities for the week so that when we had a few minutes here or a few minutes there, I wouldn't be wasting those few, precious minutes.

A lot of my time fillers come from these sing-along flip charts (I purchased both from Scholastic)

 The rest of my time fillers are just random songs/poems/activities I got from co-workers or found online.

And....here's a picture of Mr. Abeyta and I at Disneyland! Love that place...If I could go there every day, I would!






No comments:

Post a Comment